Monday, July 4, 2011

From The Vault: Scrapbook Memories- The Kenner Star 2009

    This past April 16th marks 36 years since I drove my ‘68 Volkswagen into the city of New Orleans, ready to go to work in radio. I recently came across a file folder I have kept over the years containing items connected with celebrities who have passed through New Orleans, or were gracious enough to take the time to talk to me by phone on the radio. So without further ado [I have never had any idea what an “ado” is], I will ask you to sit back, relax and travel with me through 36 years of time  I do need you to believe me when I tell you I am literally going to go through this memorial mess as I write this column. There will be no arranging in chronological order, no sorting, no sifting. I will simply relate to you a little something about each piece of memorabilia as I come to it. It’s a “live” show, folks.
    Now, the first thing we have instantly makes a liar out of me. It’s not from New Orleans, and not from the last 36 years. It’s a letter, dated July 7, 1970, from World War II hero Audie Murphy.

    Audie was the most decorated American soldier in the big war. He was movie star handsome, apparently quite brave, and had written the story of his life in a book called “To Hell and Back.” He even starred in the movie, which, until “Jaws” came along in 1975, was Universal’s highest grossing motion picture.  I didn’t save my letter to him, but as I recall I had asked if he was interested in my helping him write a follow-up book about his life since The War. He wrote to tell me he was way ahead of me: “David McClure, a long-time friend of mine, is compiling information for just such a story as you mentioned in your letter. He has been working on this project for the last 18 months. I do very much appreciate your interest and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Sincerely, (signed) Audie Murphy.
    Less than a year after I got that letter, Audie Murphy was killed in a plane crash in Virginia. He’s buried in Arlington National Cemetery, and the only other person whose grave gets more visitors than his is John F. Kennedy.
    Let’s see what else I’ve got here. On the back of this envelope it says, “From the office of Richard Nixon, 577 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey 07675.” 
    Inside it says:
    May 22, 1990
    Dear Mr. Clancy,
    Thanks you for writing to President Nixon. Because of some temporary health problems...Mr. Nixon regrets he is unable to accept your kind invitation to do an interview on your radio show [on WWL-AM]. 
    Sincerely, Carmen Ballard, Staff Assistant to President Nixon
    Now, that takes me back to 1963 when I camped outside Nixon’s room at the Hotel Syracuse waiting for him to come out. When he finally, did I went up to him with my tape recorder and walked him to the elevator, asking him things like, “Are you going to run against JFK next year?” He said he hadn’t made up his mind yet. Suddenly we were at the elevator. He got in and asked me, “Are you  going up?” Stupidly, I said No, I was going down. Then the doors closed and I realized I could have had another five or ten minutes with him. Eleven years later, he was going down and I was going up.
    Here’s a memo sheet from WTIX radio that says, “To Ed, Thanks. Ernie Banks. 5/31/84"
    That’s Ernie Banks, Mr. Cub, Mr. “Let’s Play Two!”  He played his entire career with the Chicago Cubs, and was MVP twice even though his team was nowhere near contention. Generally regarded as the nicest man in baseball, he certainly was to me. He was in town that year to play in an old timer’s game in the Superdome. A game which featured, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Bobby Thompson and Joltin’ Joe DiMaggio. That’s the year my wife took my picture with all those superstars. The pictures never came out because I had loaded the camera incorrectly. But I still have the program, right here in my file folder, a “genuine collector’s edition, program and scorecard. $2.00”
    Digging further into the jumble I see a xerox page with the headline, “Ain’t That Weird? Brother Dave Gardner.” And in the margin a handwritten “To Brother Ed, Rejoice!! Brother Dave.”
    That would be Brother Dave Gardner. Dave was a comedian from Tennessee who was big in the late 50's and early 60's. I first saw him on the Jack Paar Tonight Show. He was a little strange, sort of an intellectual Andy Griffith, (if Andy Griffith smoked marijuana).  In the middle of a comic routine, he would blurt out, “Rejoice, Dear Hearts!” Or, “Ain’t that weird?” Those phrases were his calling cards. His legacy to me is a phrase I use on my kids, or on anyone who is being stubborn and won’t do the right thing. I just say to them “Brother Dave!” They know that means I am referring to Dave’s dictum: “Let those who say they don’t want any, have memories of not gettin’ none.” He was a Dear Heart. He came to New Orleans on a comeback in 1982 and he did an interview with me for WVUE TV Channel 8. Later that night I had the honor of introducing Dave on stage at a private show at the Hyatt Regency. After the show we went to dinner and spent most of the night drinking in George Porgie’s. His note to me says, “Hope to come back to New Orleans soon. Need to take you with us. You are a great announcer and audience all in one. [He made me laugh lots.] Rejoice! Brother Dave Gardner.” 
    Just a little over a year later, Dave was dead of a massive heart attack. I don’t know what it is with me and famous people. After I met the Duke of Windsor and Judy Garland, they were both dead within two years.
    Well, I see by the old clock on the wall we’re running out of column inches, and I haven’t even scratched the tip of this iceberg of memories. That means only one thing. You’ll have to stay tuned for Scrapbook Memories Part Two, coming sometime soon to a Kenner Star near you. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE DO NOT SPAM. SPAM COMMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.